6 Amazing Benefits Of Green Tea For Skin
A couple of years back, Miranda Kerr revealed one of the secrets to her flawless skin-A Green Tea Steam Facial. It is no secret that green tea is a skin superhero and what can be a better way of including it in your skincare routine?
Green tea is rich in antioxidants that have many benefits for the skin. It helps in skin’s defence against the damaging rays of the sun and harmful pollutants in the environment. EGCG is one of the many antioxidants found in green tea and is widely popular for its health and beauty benefits. While consuming green tea is great for your body, its topical application can give you glowing, gorgeous skin. And, this is the reason many beauty products contain green tea as one of their ingredients!
So, do not throw your tea bags when you sip your cup of green tea next time. Put the leaves on your skin and see the difference!
Benefits Of Green Tea For Skin
Fights Free Radicals: If you have read my post on antioxidants, then you may remember that green tea is one of the best sources of antioxidants for the skin. When you are exposed to UV rays and environmental pollutants, free radicals start to form which damage the skin. Catechins found in green tea have the potential to fight these free radicals and repair the damage caused by them.
Anti Aging: Free radicals are not just formed due to environmental damage, they are a result of the aging process as well. As we age, these free radicals break down the collagen causing fine lines and wrinkles. Oligomeric proanthocyanidins in green tea help in slowing down the aging process and keeping the skin young.
Acne: Studies have shown that green tea has anti-acne properties. Although it is not your miracle cure for acne, consuming green tea and its topical use has been shown to be helpful in clearing breakouts. Not only that, it helps in lightening the blemishes when used regularly as a part of skincare routine.
Oily Skin: Green Tea contains Tannin which is an astringent. It is helpful in shrinking large pores and controlling sebum production. In fact, a green tea toner is excellent for use on oily skin for reducing sebum and making the skin appear oil free. However, you have to consistent with its use for visible results.
Puffy eyes: Another genius use of green tea is to soothe tired eyes. Place green tea bags on your eyes to treat puffy eyes and dark circles. It acts as an instant de-puffer making you look fresh and awake.
Inflammations: Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties which makes it excellent for use on red, irritated skin. It soothes and provides relief to the skin.
DIY Green Tea Recipes To Include In Your Skincare Routine
Since green tea is a powerhouse of antioxidants, it is a great idea to include it in your beauty routine. But, how do you do that? There are several DIY Green Tea recipes which are incredibly simple and deliver several benefits. Keep reading to know more about these DIY Green Tea Recipes:
Green Tea Steam Facial
Let’s start with the easiest skin treatment. A steam facial is a wonderful way of rejuvenating the skin. This treatment should be done after cleansing and exfoliating the face. Steaming allows the skin to soften making it easier for the mask or moisturizer to be absorbed into the skin.
A Green Tea Bag
A Large Bowl
- Cleanse and exfoliate your skin.
- Put green tea bag in a bowl of boiling water and allow it to sit for few minutes.
- Check the steam with your hand, it should feel warm and not too hot. When it is comfortable, cover your head with a towel and hold your face at least 30 cms away. from the bowl. Covering with a towel will prevent the steam from escaping and will make you sweat.
- After 10 minutes, clean your face with a towel and use a mask or a moisturizer.
DIY Green Tea Toner
A DIY green tea toner is fabulous for controlling sebum production. Regularly using it can keep oil at bay and prevent breakouts.
A Green Tea Bag
- Add one green tea bag to one cup of water.
- Steep for 15 minutes and allow it to cool.
- Transfer your tea to an airtight bottle and keep it in a refrigerator.
- Your DIY green tea toner is ready! Soak a cotton ball in this toner and apply on the face twice a day.
DIY Green Tea Face Mask
What could be a better way of pampering your skin than a DIY mask? Since green tea is such a great skincare ingredient, it makes complete sense to include it in your DIY masks. This mask can be whipped up in minutes and rejuvenates dull skin. Green tea leaves serve as mild exfoliator and honey provides ample hydration. This DIY green tea face mask is a wonderful way of keeping skin radiant.
A Green Tea Bag
One Tablespoon Honey
- Cut open a green tea bag and take its leaves in a bowl.
- Add honey and mix to form a mask.
- Spread this mask on your face and leave for 20 minutes.
- Wash and follow with a moisturizer.
DIY Green Tea Scrub
Dry green tea leaves can be added to your regular cleanser for mild exfoliation. However, if you are keen on trying an excellent DIY then green tea can be used to make a scrub with sugar and olive oil.
One Tablespoon Green Tea
One Tablespoon Brewed Green Tea
Two Tablespoons Sugar
- Brew one tea bag in half a cup water and reduce it to 1-2 tablespoons. Allow it to cool.
- While the tea is cooling, combine all the other ingredients in a bowl. Add the cooled tea.
- Mix to get the desired consistency.
- Use this scrub on the body in gentle circular motions to exfoliate dry, dead skin. It removes impurities and gives a smoother appearance to the skin.
DIY Green Tea Facial Mist
Since green tea has the ability to calm tired and irritated skin, it can be used to make a DIY Facial Mist. It is a great addition to your summer skincare routine and the best part is that you can make it in minutes.
A Green Tea Bag
A Spray Bottle
Few Drops Essential Oil
- Steep one tea bag in one cup water for 15 minutes. Allow it to cool.
- Add few drops of your favorite essential oil
- Transfer to a spray bottle and refrigerate.
- Your facial mist is ready!
Antioxidants in Green Tea can do wonders for the skin. Now that you know the beauty benefits of green tea, try including these DIY recipes in your skincare routine. Since these recipes are simple, you can make these in minutes to pamper your skin. Try these recipes and share your feedback in the comments section below!
Have a query or a beauty tip? Write to Gorgeousmantra to be featured on the website! I would love to hear from you!